Sunday, February 5, 2012

Welcome One and All

Welcome Cornerstone students. Welcome to your new Blogger family as well as to your Interdisciplinary Studies major. We hope that throughout this semester we can impart some of the knowledge and wisdom that we have gained during our own wonderful journeys through our Interdisciplinary Studies majors. We are here, first and foremost, for YOU. If you have any questions at any time on anything we post, please let us know. If you don't agree with anything we say, tell us. The only wrong opinion is that which is never expressed. Challenge us just as you would challenge yourself in the real world, for out of challenge comes true understanding.

We only have a few rules:
  • Check the blog frequently. Topics will always evolve. Even if you finish what is “required” for this week's reading, you may miss out on something much greater.
  • Complete the postings early on to allow for discussion.
  • We can be wrong. It's OK to disagree with us. In fact, sometimes challenging us will lead to the pursuit of a much greater answer.
  • Avoid ranting. Discussion can lead to a positive outcome. Ranting, on the other hand, is negative by nature and will only lead to a negative outcome.
  • Realize that there is no such thing as a wrong answer except for the one not given.
  • Read the whole post. Sometimes we will ask questions at the end. ;)
  • Reply by pressing the comment button.
  • Please write your name at the end of your reply.

With that, I will like to introduce our team (in no particular order).
Note: We promise not all posts will be this big. ;)

First up, me, Ivan Maldonado:
My name is Ivan Maldonado. My concentrations are Computational Science (why don't they just call it computer science? lol) and Education and my minor is in Humanities. This is my last semester for my current major and I am very excited. I started my original major back in 2001 at the University of Massachusetts Lowell and, after a 6 year hiatus, started school again here in Florida. I went through two majors (Computer Engineering and Mathematics Education) before I found IDS. My passions are technology, education and religious studies so, as you can see, IDS was the perfect fit for me. 
When people ask me what IDS is, I tell them that IDS is the merging of several parts of several disciplines into one new and unique discipline. In my case, my main focus is on how technology merges into education to not only enhance but become part of education itself. This allows me the advantage of understanding how to use Educational Technology to its maximum efficiency to aid students in maximizing their understanding of any applicable subject matter. Of course, there is a downside to this. By specifically targeting both Education and Computer Science, I do become the jack of "this one specific" trade and the master of none. While I can still teach without computers and program without teaching, I am not as efficient in either separate discipline as a dedicated Education major or Computer Science major would be. But, alas, for what I lose, I make up in other areas in Spades (hah! Get it? Jack... Spades... No? Fine... That was a little corny... lol).
Ivan Maldonado
Secondly, we have Suzanne Sanchez:
Hi everyone! My name is Suzanne Sanchez. I am a senior and I graduate in April. My minor is Sociology. My areas of concentration are Public Affairs, and Humanities. I plan to continue my education in the UCF Masters Non-Profit Management Program next Fall. Ultimately I want to work for the Red Cross in disaster field work. I was inspired by my grandfather to go into this area of community service, as he worked for that organization for 40 years.

I was attracted to the Interdisciplinary Program because I liked the idea of having a well-rounded degree and I have many interests. In addition, it was important to me because there is such a competitive workforce and the more experience you accumulate the better your chances are. People always ask me what Interdisciplinary Studies is. I tell them it's a degree where you can have more diversity and choices for your academics. You can greatly benefit from this degree because the employers are looking for more experience in candidates. The only disadvantage is that it is not one specific focused discipline. However, the good outweighs the bad tremendously.

I am really excited to meet everyone, and feel free to “reply” by using the comment button.
 
Suzanne Sanchez
Thirdly, Christine Ockunzzi:
Hi, My name is Christine Ockunzzi. I started my UCF career in 1991 (I guess some of you weren't even born at that time! UGH) I worked for Lockheed Martin for 22 years and I hope to resume my career there after graduation. In 2009, I returned to school after a 12 year absence to complete my degree. My areas of study are computational science and humanities and minor is sociology. Having worked on the computational science so many years ago, you can bet those pre-req's were pretty stale after 12 years; this is where IDS came in.
I like animals (dog training especially) and gardening.
Fourth up to the plate, Tamara Groom:
My name is Tamara Groom and I am a non-traditional student (I just turned 35) who has commuted to UCF from Brevard county for the last couple of years. I am finally a senior IDS student. My focus areas are engineering and computational sciences and my minor is digital Media. Since I concentrated primarily on computer courses in both of my focus areas and my minor, it’s easy to explain my Interdisciplinary Studies path as being one in which I took as many computer courses as possible to become computer savvy, but that’s just part of the story. I also took journalism courses for my elective credits.  And marketing... And visual communications... And some more digital media... In this multi-media world of ours there are all kinds of things that I want to accomplish and I felt that I should try to gain as many skills as possible. The disadvantage to that in an Interdisciplinary Studies approach is that you don’t learn programming languages in as structured of a way as you might if you were in a computer science program. The advantage to it is that I don’t have to specialize in one language and now know I have the ability to learn any language. Welcome to IDS. Ask me anything.
Fifth up, we have Antonio Hermida:
Hello my name is Antonio Hermida and my areas of concentration and minor are commerce, social science and mathematics respectively. I chose interdisciplinary studies as my degree because I liked the flexibility that it gave me to customize my studies. When other people ask me what is it that my degree consists of, I always tell them that it is a bachelor’s with concentrations in commerce, social science and mathematics. The disadvantage about the IDS degree is that it is relatively new and people think that it is not specific enough. The advantage is that as long as you know how to market yourself to a prospective employer you will come across as a knowledgeable person with aptitudes in different disciplines. What I would like to do with this degree when I graduate is to apply the acquired knowledge to a job that comes along as interesting to me. A job that will allow my growth in both career and spirit.
Sixth up, we have Maegan Anderson:
Hello, my name is Maegan Anderson. I am graduating this semester with a focus in Mathematics and Education with a minor in Business. I am aspiring to be a high school Athletic Director and possibly teach math. I have been volunteering all throughout my college career in education and sporting events to help with my goal of becoming an Athletic Director. I plan to get a sports internship this summer and then start my career in the fall at a high school. After some work experience, I plan to go back and get my masters in Business Administration. I chose the IDS major because it helped me use all of my credits wisely and allowed me to be well-rounded in three areas. When people ask me what is the IDS major, I tell them that I basically have three focuses and am able to apply a perspective from each. I look forward to this blog. Please feel free to ask me any questions. Let’s have a great semester!
Last, but not least, we have Jeff Popluder:
Hey Everyone, My name's Jeff, I’m 22 and these four years at UCF have been the greatest experience of my life. I’ve made friendships for a lifetime, taken opportunities you could never dream of and received the best educational background for my personal needs. When first attending University of Central Florida I was very passionate about Engineering then shortly realized all the math classes weren’t for me so quickly changed my major to Management Information Systems (MIS). This degree breached Business Management and Information Technology and that encompassed a curriculum that I was extremely interested in. Shortly after, the program had budget cuts and the degree was removed. My next option was to become a general business major and have no path or swim with the big fish and create my own destiny.

I made the best decision to this day and became an Interdisciplinary Studies student. Not only was I able to create my own course guide but it opened many doors in the sense of internships, campus involvement in SGA and it also landed me a job my senior year of college and most likely an amazing job when I graduate. I decided to intertwine the curriculum from MIS taking related courses in Business and IT and those are where I choose my fields from the majority of those classes. Secondly, I took behavioral science classes to learn the studies of humans and their interactions in the economy and interpersonal communications. Pretty much I’m an average college student who likes to explore their opportunities and become involved in everything to play as many cards as possible. I’ll cherish this last semester here at UCF and hope the best for everyone else that is on a similar path to success. Please feel free to email me with any general or personal questions I am still very knowledgeable with SGA if you have any related questions involving Senate.

Now it's your turn:
Feel free to introduce yourselves and your minors/areas of concentration.
Why did you chose this as your degree?
How do describe your Interdisciplinary major to others?
What do you feel are the disadvantages or advantages in Interdisciplinary Studies?
What would you like do with this degree when you graduate?

Please feel free to add anything else or ask any questions you have. We are here for you.


We're looking forward to hearing from you!

47 comments:

  1. Feel free to introduce yourselves and your minors/areas of concentration.
    Why did you chose this as your degree?
    How do describe your Interdisciplinary major to others?
    What do you feel are the disadvantages or advantages in Interdisciplinary Studies?
    What would you like do with this degree when you graduate?
    Please feel free to add anything else or ask any questions you have. We are here for you.
    Hi, my name is Elizabeth Elder. My concentrations are Commerce and Behavioral Sciences, and my minor is History. I chose this degree because, I'm technically a Senior, and I need to graduate. I didn't want to be a History major, and I had about 90 credits when I transferred to UCF for the Spring, and IDS was the only major where I could apply my upper level credits. To my friends, I describe my degree as the only way I can make sense of everything I've done thus far as far as my education is concerned. On a professional level, I explain every aspect of my degree, the concentrations and the minor.
    I would say the advantages of this degree are that it offers more unconventional students or students with a wide range of interests a chance to hone those skills. The disadvantages are that not a lot of people understand this major, and it needs more explanation. However, this is a great conversation starter in an interview.
    I'm not sure what I want out of this degree. I currently work for Disney, and I am applying for a professional internship within the company, hopefully as a manager. I am just very unsure of everything. For me, my most difficult class is this Cornerstone class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, I agree that this major needs more explanation and that not a lot of people understand this major. It's very complex, which makes it difficult to understand. Even reading about what IDS entails in our book and doing research on it, I am still left somewhat confused.

      I like that in your post you described IDS as a great conversation starter. I never thought of this major in that manner. Possibly because I'm not really sure how to describe it, but I will attempt to have an intriguing answer when employers ask as Christine put it in her reply. Thank you.
      Kasey

      Delete
    2. Elizabeth, it's funny that you mention interviews and IDS being a conversation starter. I recently had an interview for a position as a network operations technician (which I got!) and, when they saw IDS in my resume, it began a huge conversation that lead into a pretty fun experience.

      Delete
    3. Ivan, congratulation on the job! One of the things IDS has helped me achieve is an understanding of what I have accomplished thus far in my college career. I used to be ashamed of talking about my academic history. To this date, I've transferred to three different schools, changed my major countless times, and moved to different locations with each passing semester. It just seemed like I could never sit still. I became an IDS major, and at my most recent interview, I discussed my major and how I came to that decision. I realized, I've studied abroad, done 3 college programs at Disney, I've developed as an employee, was recently promoted, I've taken a variety of classes ranging from Greek culture to Photography to Ballet. It's been very exciting, and I didn't realize this until I became an IDS major and was asked to account for how I came to this decision.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, I'm glad I'm not the only one to find the Cornerstone course being challenging. I'm a little nervous because next semester may be my last one, so I have to transition from Cornerstone to Capstone fairly quickly. So I'm nervous about what's to come after this course when I have to transition so quickly. I'm hoping that by the end of this semester I can be in a better Interdisciplinary mindset.
      I also find that the more I explain being an IDS major, the better of an answer I have.

      Delete
    2. Joining your group of IDS helping us get out of "never going to graduate" :) I had no end in sight and I have to say, I was close to giving up many times. I'm glad I found this major, and I'm looking forward to finally being done.

      Honestly, sometimes I wonder how much of the things we are learning in this course will be applicable after we graduate. I guess it's useful to give us a background for our major but a lot of it seems like busy work to me. I struggle with making myself sit down to do the assignments each week. I don't think I'm the only one!

      Delete
  3. Hi all, my name is Kasey-Marie Pike formally, but I just go by Kasey. I am a sophomore and my major areas of concentration are in Biomedical and Physical Sciences with a minor in Mathematics. One day I hope to become a dentist and thus I chose my major focuses. I chose my minor simply because I love math and I figured since I'm good at math, this minor will offer classes to offset the load of science classes I will be in. I decided to pursue IDS because I am able to pick and choose which science classes I need for dental school and leave the all the extra science classes that other majors require out. This is an advantage of IDS in my opinion. The flexibility provides students with much opportunity to study what interests them and not have to deal with what doesn't. The disadvantage of IDS, however, could be as many of the mentees mentioned earlier about not being a master of one discipline and that I feel this degree requires responsibility in picking the right classes needed to get you where you need to be. These disadvantages are not all that bad though.

    When others ask me to describe IDS, I usually say that it is pretty much like any other major but tailored to your specific interests. IDS allows for more flexibility than most majors and you get to pick what your interested in.

    Kasey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kasey, I think this is a great example of how Interdisciplinarity can be found in the workplace. As you mentioned, Dentistry ties into multiple disciplines and with IDS you get to pick and chose the parts of those disciplines that best fit into your goals.

      Delete
    2. Hello Kasey! I am also studying a math minor.I did it because I began studying engineering and ended up with a lot of math credits that I was able to transfer to my IDS major. It ended up working out fine, given to the fact that math goes hand in hand with any career and is a good asset in any diploma. It is been both, enjoyable and also a lot of work with the upper level maths. Which upper level math classes are you planning on taking?.

      Delete
    3. Kasey, flexibility was one of the reasons that I choose this path in degrees because I could just focus on what I was interested in studying. You're correct in saying "picking the right classes" is one of the biggest thing about this degree because you should focus what you study on what your future goal is once you graduate. I have come across a few people that have ask me about IDS because they were not aware of the opportunities that it can offer. Of course this degree is just not for anyone, but I find that some people that I have spoken too and are a bit lost can look at this option as a door they can open to finally graduating.

      Lisette

      Delete
    4. Fitofez, I'm not exactly sure which upper level classes I am taking just yet. Which classes are you taking?
      Kasey

      Delete
    5. I took LINEAR ALGEBRA and am currently taking MATHEMATICAL MODELING. The reason why upper level classes were more work that the lower level is because one gets deeper into theory and proofs of mathematical concepts. It is challenging and different than the calculation approach of the lower level math classes. My suggestion to you would be to stick to the discipline of applied mathematics. Their approach will be more tangible at the same time that they will be less abstract.

      Delete
  4. Hello everyone!
    My name is Brianna Gonzalez, and I am 19 years old living in Brevard County and taking all my UCF classes online (I apparently enjoy making life more difficult ha ha). My areas of concentration are in Commerce and Communications, with a minor in Sociology. I chose this as my degree because I had a hard time just limiting myself to one major. Originally I was planning on being a Business major, but I kind of hated the math part of it, but loved the management and marketing parts of it. I also love writing and the communications in general, and always had an interest in sociology.

    I have a really hard time describing to people what an IDS major is, but I basically just tell people it's a way for me to combine all of the things I'm passionate about in school and makes me more well-rounded. The advantages of an IDS degree is obviously the flexibility and freedom to choose what you feel is best suited for you. The disadvantages, like many of my classmates stated, is not being a "master" of one discipline. I feel that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages though.

    I'm not sure exactly what I am going to do with this degree yet, but I definitely feel like this degree is going to make me more well-rounded. My ultimate career goal is to be a social media strategist for a cosmetics company (I'm currently a freelance makeup artist). For once in my academic career, I'm actually excited about the classes I'm taking now!

    Brianna Gonzalez

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brianna, I'm glad to hear that you're excited about your classes! I think all school should be that way. lol
      As far as making your life more difficult, I've found that online classes CAN be harder or easier for you depending on BOTH the time life allows you to spend on the classes AND how disciplined you are. While there is something to be said about having a physical lecture, there is also something to be said about being able to pick up a class on the fly and just work on it whenever you have free time. Just be careful about getting distracted (the internet is a BIG distraction for me.) It looks like you are on the right track, though, as it's only Tuesday and you already posted here. Don't ever let yourself fall into that whole "I'll get to it on Sunday" routine. ;)

      Delete
    2. Hi Brianna, I tried the online classes at first and they were great when the professor was skilled at facilitating online classes and knew how to make them interactive and interesting. They were pure misery otherwise and I had a few that just finally made me realize that I had to actually be in the classroom. The commute got to be trying at times but there's things you can do to make it better, like listening to audio books. I even listened to lectures I recorded once in a while. Since it seems that we have similar interests, I want to recommend that you check out the journalism program. I discovered that I had a lot of elective credits that I needed to fill after I completed the two focus areas and the minor, so I took Editing I with Rick Brunson. Then I was hooked. I took News Reporting and a Magazine editing class even after all of my required courses were completed. I could have graduated last semester but I chose to take those classes instead. I wish I had discovered the program sooner because I would have liked to take more journalism classes. Most journalism is online so they teach a lot of the Social Media skills, SEO, etc. If you do take journalism courses, make sure you choose classes that Richard Brunson teaches. He is a wealth of information and he's passionate about teaching.

      As far as not being able to describe the degree, I had the worst time since I chose Engineering, Computational Sciences and Digital Media. It's hard to say that succinctly in one breath. Plus all the classes I took in each area were computer classes or something to do with the internet. So then I would go on and try to explain that too. I am now going to just call my degree Interdisciplinary New Media Communications. I created my degree by choosing specific courses so why not create the title. If asked by a prospective employer, I can elaborate and explain it.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ivan! I try to do all my work before the weekend because the worst feeling is when you have a ton of work to do and it's Sunday night and you have to decide which work is more important. Never doing that again!

      And Tamara- I am DEFINITELY going to look into that! It's funny, as a little girl I dreamt of being a journalist but was convinced by family not to do it because it wasn't a real "career", but now I run a beauty blog and have made such great connections and met such great friends, that I'm realizing how much I should have done journalism in the beginning! I will definitely look into those journalism classes with Richard Brunson, thank you so much for the suggestions! Now I'm going to have to come up with a cool name for this degree! :P

      Brianna

      Delete
    4. Brianna, I also agree with Ivan that discipline has a great deal to do with taking online classes. I work full-time and have a second job aka kids. As you stated waiting until the last minute to the assignment is just a setup for failure. I know that because I was a victim of that particular mindset in the past when I started taking online courses. I would think "I can get it done all in one day" but sooner did I realize that completing assignments like that is not feasible and irresponsible. With that said it was a lesson learned on my part that I took with me to all the other classes that I took after.

      Lisette

      Delete
    5. Hi Brianna,
      I liked your post alot.That is awesome you are excited about your classes. I felt the same way, I was so glad to finally be at UCF. You are so right about the degree being more well-rounded,and you will benefit from it in the long run. I am actually moving back to Cocoa Beach in a couple weeks, thank goodness. I am more of an ocean girl, so it has been a little difficult living in the city. In the beginning of my time at UCF, I was a little concerned about the IDS degree not being so specific, degree wise.

      However, I feel like I am mastering several disciplines and I cannot believe how much I have learned in such a short amount of time. I am so glad I chose this degree, and because of the Public Affairs discipline, I have also had the chance to get familiar with the criminal profiling/justice realm. I like that I can put that on my resume. So there really is so many opportunities in the IDS degree. Good luck to you and if you ever have any questions, I am here. If I ever need a makeup artist I know who to contact, that is awesome. Thank you:) -Suzanne Sanchez

      Delete
    6. Hi Suzanne! Thank you so much for the kind words, and yes, if you ever need a makeup artist, I'm here! :) I love Cocoa Beach- you're lucky to be moving there! I live in Melbourne, but am not too far from the beach. I'm looking forward to more interactions on this blog!

      Brianna

      Delete
    7. Brianna, as I was reading your post about taking all online classes, I must give you props. I would much rather sit in a lecture hall than have to worry about when assignments are due online. How do you keep up with all the deadlines? This class is my first online class and I always feel like I'm behind even though I'm not.
      Kasey

      Delete
    8. I try to be as organized as possible. Every Monday morning, I type out my schedule for the week, including the due dates for all of my assignments, and I work on my assignments that are due first. For example, one of my classes has a due date on a Wednesday at noon, so I make sure I do all that work by Tuesday night, then I'll typically work on this class where we have Thursday and Sunday deadlines, etc. It requires a lot of good time management skills, so it definitely isn't for everyone! And I am very familiar with that feeling of being behind... I'm always paranoid that I've forgotten something!

      Brianna

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My name is Lisette Cintron and my areas of concentration are Psycology, Education, and a minor in History. I choose this degree because after a (long long) process to get my Assocaites I felt the need to home in on something that will get me my degree. Interdisciplinary Studies was a way that I can include my studies of interest, get my degree, and have online classes that work for my busy schedule. When describing my degree to others I do get some raised eyebrows and looks confusion and I find it pretty funny. But nonetheless I describe my degree as a way for me to collaborate more than area of study that I am interested in and create my own unique degree. One of the advantages of this degree is the use of it towards my future profession of choice. With my concentrations and minors I can easily use those tools learn as a teacher. On the other hand, a possible disadvantage can be that can also hinder me when looking for employment outside the Educational profession. Nonetheless, I am happy with my choice and feel that my journey has just begun with reaching my future goal of becoming an Elementary school teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisette, I wouldn't worry that the degree will hinder your chances at employment outside of education. I think it shows that you're well-rounded and employers appreciate that. They also like to employ people who are able to be trained and are not only capable of learning but also willing to learn. I think the degree shows that. I wish you luck on your journey to reach your goal.

      Tamara

      Delete
    2. Thanks Tamara, I get what your saying about being well-rounded and willing to learn. I currently work in a doctors office and due to bugets cut I lost my main operator position and took on what we call a "float" position. This consistd of covering people when they are out doing different positions. I had to learn fast and learn alot, but I enjoy it. I guess that's another reason why IDS fits me!!!

      Lisette

      Delete
    3. Wow, Lisette, sounds like you have a lot of responsibility at work and I bet it can be a bit hectic at times. At least you won't get bored! Still, teaching elementary school will probably be a lot more fun. Just keeping focused on your goal will help on those days when it all gets to be too much. Good luck!

      Delete
    4. Lisette,
      I liked your description of your IDS degree as "creating your own unique degree". I absolutely agree with you and it really is true. I never thought of that description, but its perfect because it is like your are creating your own degree with the combination of your interests. Your journey in education may have taken a little longer, but it is an amazing accomplishment.Good luck to you and your exciting future.

      Suzanne Sanchez

      Delete
  7. Hello, my name is Ashley Storey. My minor is Mathematics Education and my areas of concentration are humanities and computational science. I have fulfilled my areas of study with history classes and I have taken a lot of math classes. I chose IDS as my degree in November of 2011 because I was so unhappy in my degree program. When I tell people what my major is I say that I am Interdisciplinary Studies but I am focusing on Mathematics education, and enjoying my college experience by taking American history classes. I am so much happier in IDS than I was as a Mathematics Education Major. I feel that the advantage of being in IDS is that you can study all the areas that you are interested in, where a normal degree you only study one area. Once I graduate I would like to teach math in a local middle school and I am planning on pursuing my Master’s Degree in Educational Leadership.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley,

      I was in the same boat as you. I orginally was a Math Ed. major, but switched to IDS and am much happier. I feel more well rounded and happy about my areas of math, business and education. It is great to see that you are planning ahead for your master's.

      Maegan

      Delete
    2. Ashley, I have the same areas of study as you (comp sci/humanities). Difference being my classes were taken in the 90's! Ever hear of "Modula-2" programming (haha)? I started out going for comp sci and quit school for many years and when I came back I like to say that IDS with my areas and minor (sociology) chose me by mixing and matching what I had and what was available online. I am impressed with your plan of pursuing a master's. Good luck.
      Christine

      Delete
    3. Maegan, Thank you for telling me that you were also a Math Education Major. I have been feeling like I am the only one not happy in that major and feel like the major was not preparing me to teach Math in middle school. I am loving my major finally, and so happy!!!

      Christine, Thank you for the support.

      Delete
    4. Sounds like a lot of us are former education majors. I never officially declared education as a major, but I did take several classes and now it's one of my disciplines. I'm struggling with finding upper level classes that don't have a bunch of pre-reqs. Do you have any recommendations? I took Intro to Ed, Technology for Educators, and a few others... I just hate taking more pre-reqs when I only need upper level classes at this point. Thanks for any help!

      Delete
  8. Hello Ashley, I too was not happy with the Education Major not to cast a negative shadow on the degree itself it just was not for me. I also have hopes to pursue a career in Education and hope to teach in the Elementary level. Hoping to teach either first or second grade level. I really liked how you summarize your degree when explaining it to others. I am sure that probably avoided those puzzled looks on people's faces that I know that I get when I say what I am studying.

    Lisette

    ReplyDelete
  9. I give you kudos for wanting to teach Elementary school. I would like to teach secondary, preferably middle school. They are still growing and want to do fun activities unlike the high school kids who look at you like I am way to old be doing that activity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very glad that you two are having a relevant discussion. As you have probably read, I come from a similar background. ;)
      That being said, please, when you are replying to a specific reply, click on the reply under their reply, not the overall reply. (Say that 3 times fast! lol) That way everyone can keep track of who is talking to who about what. :D

      Delete
    2. Thanks Ivan, Blogging is a bit new to me and I appreciate the tip. I'm sure that after this course I will be an expert.

      Lisette

      Delete
    3. No problem, Lisette. I was new to all of us at one time or another. :)

      Delete
  10. Ashley,

    I know what you mean I did some observational hours observing elementary, middle, and high school. I could definitely see the difference in mentally and of course the interaction with teachers. I enjoyed elementary the best out of all of them because it was like they're first time learning things and it was just amazing seeing them learn something new. Whereas middle school and high school students pretty much thought they knew it all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My name is Brett Strauss. My areas of concentration are Engineering and Computational Science, and my minor is in Anthropology. I majored in Mechanical Engineering for a few years at UCF before switching to Computer Engineering, and after hitting a point where I realized that I wanted to do more than focus on one area of study, I found IDS. I normally describe my IDS major to others as a way to study Engineering and Computational Science, which go hand in hand, as well as explore other areas. The only drawback to Interdisciplinary Studies that I see is that by exploring several disciplines, it may be difficult to master them. As I see it though, Interdisciplinary Studies isn't really about mastering the individual disciplines, its about realizing that most issues aren't limited to just one discipline or viewpoint. By understanding where the different disciplines are coming from, it allows for a greater understanding of the issue as a whole, and opens up more possible solutions. Even though my major isn't solely Engineering anymore, I'd still like to find a job or career with an engineering firm after I graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Brett, I think that having two areas that are related, as yours are, is very useful especially since you want to go to work at an engineering company. I worked at Lockheed for 22 years (and hope to return after graduation) and I have seen that many jobs use various skills and your wide range of knowledge should help you obtain the most desirable assignments. As you point out an IDS degree can have its upsides and downsides, but I really think employeers are becoming more interested in an applicant with a variety of skills and ability to learn. I think your areas of study along with your background in mechanical engineering will serve you very well in your future career.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ivan you did a great job on introducing yourself! My name is PAuline PEarlman and my majors or disciplines are computational scienes as well as commerce and my minor is psychology. I enjoy being able to explore many different avenues and I am completely unsure of what I want to do in life with my major. Right now I just got laid off and I am looking for a job and I am realizing how hard it is in the workforce, I am 22 and will be 23 next month, theres a little about me ;) Pauline.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pauline, I believe we have similar interests, I'm IT while your CS were both business and where your psychology I'm behavioral sciences myself. I'm currently doing Web Hosting but exploring different venues. I want to go into IT sales and am working on the application process now. What type of jobs are you interested in? (obviously anyone that pays well) but what industry has your interest? Sharing ideas always stimulates new opportunities.
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  15. My name is Mary. I chose this major because it will allow me to use all the credits I've acquired after being in school for 5+ years. When people ask what my degree is, I usually say IDS is a combination of majors and by choosing this degree, I'll be able to graduate sooner. I don't feel bad saying that and I don't think it discounts the degree. What we have all been through is becoming more and more common. It's hard to choose just one major and commit your life to that. Even in choosing a major, many people don't necessarily stay in that field for their entire life. I will graduate in December, and I'll be so thankful to have a degree. The advantage of IDS for me is that it will help me graduate when I otherwise might have gotten burnt out if I had to go back and complete all the courses of one major. I'd hope that an IDS degree wouldn't hurt your chances in the job field but that's one possible disadvantage - that your degree isn't specific enough. I still don't know what I want to do after I graduate, and I'm definitely struggling with that. If anyone else is in the same boat, I'd love help in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mary, you didn't say what your areas/minor are. But I think your IDS degree can be presented in a very positive light. The ability to learn in different disciplines is an asset. I have a lot of extra credits that have been "wasted" over and above what I need to graduate and I have been working and going to school part time for many many many years, but I see it all as what made me into what I am today. As far as the future, somedays I let myself get overwhelmed with possibilities and "what ifs", that is when I try to concentrate on taking one day at a time, that is what helps me anyway.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm Cait McLarnon and am in my fourth year here at UCF with graduation coming up in the next few months. I decided to minor in three areas--Business Administration, Sociology and Mass Communications. I chose the IDS major because I could not make up my mind between these three minors and decided why not just focus on all of them. I would describe the IDS major as having the ability to study multiple areas and being able to integrate those areas into one another. I feel the disadvantages of such major include the obvious lack of one specific set field to call your major. However, in the same, I feel that to be the advantage. Being able to study a variety of interest creates for a more rounded experience. The IDS major allows for options and experience. After I graduate I would like to continue my education by either attending Graduate School at NYU, UCF, UF or NUI Galway.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete